Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Freedom to work where you wish



I love freedom and I love the freedom to work where I wish. Many creative like myself will fight you over this. No really, like physically fight. These beliefs come from our real experience. We suggest some real therapy when it comes to the corporate world's office addiction. So I am here to say if you can, set your employees free from the office.

To be clear this post is NOT specifically advocating that people work from their home, or any place in particular or even working in the same place on a daily basis. We actually don't advocate that. This is about having an individual choice about where to work other than the company office. Now we understand of course it profits the commercial real estate industry for us all to believe that old model of "WHERE BUSINESS SHOULD BE DONE" is a good model. And of course for some office space really is needed. But when those physical restraints don't exist. I mean seriously, why are you at the office? At least why are you there EVERYDAY? We say let the creative execute the tasks that don't require the equipment to be done off-site in the setting they choose.

I'll argue that many of us have really created a day prison to a certain extinct. I'm not suggesting that you employ people to goof off, although we actually end up creating great places to goof off when we make offices. I'm simply saying give them the freedom to work at their highest capacity, stay fresh, be inspired, have a connected life, and utilize technology as a real gift so that your business benefits.

It is real simple to figure out if letting your employees work remotely would work. Do I really have to explain this?


1. Their job is about communication, managing logistics, planning, design, creating ideas. In other words the real part of their work is done in the brain man.

2. They can do the majority of their job with these tools: a laptop, access to internet, mobile phone, and electricity.


It may sound like I am like promoting a world where we don't interact with each other in person and become distanced from human experiences. Well, via work I am…because it means you get to interact in person much more with the people and places in your life that really matter to you. You only have so much time in this modern life, save the in-person stuff for the relationships and places that are most important to you.


PS - I posted this from my the comfort of my back yard with my trustyMac book and was using a few extra minutes I saved not driving to work to change the spark plugs on my soon to be vintage car that I bought with the money I saved not paying for electricity at a huge office I used to have that I hardly used.


—SB

No comments:

Post a Comment